ntra-species profiling of Cleome viscosa growing in Swat district (Pakistan)


  • N. Muhammad University of Malakand
  • S. F. Wadood Sun Yat-sen University
  • W. Khan Nanjing Agricultural University
  • N. Ali Hazara University
  • M. Nisar University of Malakand
Keywords: Cleome viscosa; genetic diversity; morphology; SDS-PAGE; Pakistan

Abstract

Intra-specific genetic variation was studied in 28 genotypes of Cleome viscosa L. growing in Swat district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. It was found that genotypes showed the utmost allelic variation for leaf upper and lower surface with emerald green (75%), and yellow green (75%) respectively, other leaves lower and upper surfaces were (25%) green and yellow green (26%) respectively. The majority of C. viscosa genotypes were (50%) yellow flowers while others were with (29%) white yellow colour and (21%) dull yellow. Most of the seeds were with black (46%). The protein profiling was carried out on 12% gel electrophoresis; seven reproducible bands with molecular weight ranges from 180 to 10 KDa were detected in C. viscosa, the locus contribution toward genetic disagreement (LCTGD) of C. viscosa was 57%. Notably, L-3, L-4 L-5, was monomorphic in C. viscosa and was treated as species specific. L-1, L-2, L-7 were polymorphic. These bands showed 79%, 4%, 14% and 79% variation respectively. In the current investigation the intra-specific variation was observed limited and alone SDS-PAGE did not determine the high level of intra-specific variation; however, diverse germplasm were suggested to be acquired from various sources.

References

Edeoga, H. O., Omosun, G., Osuagwu, G. G. E., Mbaebie, B. O., & Madu, B. A. (2009). Micromorphological characters of the vegetative and floral organs of some Cleome species from Nigeria. American-Eurasian Journal of Scientific Research, 4(3), 124–127.


Hameed, A., Shah, T. M., Atta, B. M., Iqbal, N., Haq, M. A., & Ali, H. (2009). Comparative seed storage protein profiling of Kabuli Chickpea genotypes. Pakistan. Journal of Botany, 41(2), 703–710.


Ladizinsky, G., & Hymowitz, T. (1979). Seed protein electrophoresis in taxonomic and evolutionary studies. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 54(4), 145–151.


Lioi, L., Sparvoli, F., & Bollini, R. (1999). Variation and genomic polymorphism of lectin-related protein in Lima Bean (Phaseolus lunatus L.) seed. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 46(2), 175–182.


Mali, R. G. (2009). Cleome viscosa (wild mustard): A review on ethnobotany, phy tochemistry, and pharmacology. Pharmaceutical Biology, 48(1), 105–112.


Ndiaye, M., Dieng, Y., Gaye, O., Faye, B., Tine, R., Ndiaye, J. L., Hallett, R., Alifrangis, M., & Gaye, O. (2012). Assessment of the molecular marker of Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance (Pfcrt) in Senegal after several years of chloroquine withdrawal. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 87(4), 640–645.


Niraimathi, K. L., Karunanithi, M., & Brindha, P. (2012). Phytochemical and in vitro screening of aerial part of Cleome visocsa Linn. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4, 27–30.


Nisar, M., Ghafoor, A., Khan, M. R., Ahmad, H., Qureshi, A. S., & Ali, H. (2007). Genetic diversity and geographic relationship among local and exotic chickpea germplasm. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 39(5), 1575–1581.


Nisar, M., Wadood, S. F., Iqbal, A., & Nausheen, A. (2016). Intra and inter speci fic profiling of Pakistani Quercus species growing in hilly areas of District Dir Khyber Pukhtunkhwa. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 48(1), 263–270.


Potokina, E., Vaughan, D. A., Eggi, E. E., & Tomooka, N. (2000). Population diversity of the Vicia sativa agg. (Fabaceae) in the flora of the former USSR deduced from RAPD and seed protein analysis. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 47(2), 171–183.


Rajani, A., Sunitha, E. M., & Shailaja, K. (2014). Analysis of phytochemical con stituents in leaf extract of Cleome viscosa. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 3, 1008–1013.


Rubatzky, V. E., & Yamaguchi, M. (1997). World vegetable principles, producti on and nutritive values. Chapman and Hall, New York.


Sammour, R. H. (1991). Using electrophoretic techniques in varietal identification, biosystematic analysis, phylogenetic relations and genetic resources manage ment. Journal of Islamic Academy of Sciences, 4, 221–226.


Wadood, S. F., Hassan, N., Khaliq, A., Nausheen, T., Jan, T., Ghafoor, A., Khan, M., & Nisar, M. (2016). Genetic polymorphism in Lens culinaris collected from Malakand division Khayber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Journal of Biodi versity and Environmental Sciences, 8(2), 53–60.


Win, K. T., Zaw, A., New, K. L., Thein, M. S., & Yutaka, H. (2011). Diversity of Myanmar cowpea accessions through seed storage polypeptides and its cross compatibility with the subgenus Ceratotropis. Journal of Plant Breeding and Crop Sciences, 3(5), 87–95.

Published
2018-02-19
Section
Articles