Brygadyrenko, Viktor V.
As.Prof., Ph.D., V.V. Brygadyrenko, Department of Zoology and Ecology, Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University, Ukraine.
Scopus ID: 26632836300
Researcher ID: B-7287-2015
Google Scholar: Account
Deputy Chief Editor:
Contacts: +38-050-939-07-88; firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2016. Evaluation of ecological niches of abundant species of Poecilus and Pterostichus (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in forests of the steppe zone of Ukraine. Entomologica Fennica 27(2), 81–100.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2016. Effect of canopy density on litter invertebrate community structure in pine forests. Ekológia (Bratislava) 35(1): 90–102.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Reshetniak, D.Y., 2016. Morphometric variability of Clitellocephalus ophoni (Eugregarinida, Gregarinidae) in the intestines of Harpalus rufipes (Coleoptera, Carabidae). Archives of Biological Sciences 68(3): 587–601.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2015. Evaluation of the ecological niche of some abundant species of the subfamily Platyninae (Coleoptera, Carabidae) against the background of eight ecological factors. Folia Oecologica 42(2): 75–88.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2015. Parameters of ecological niches of Badister, Licinus and Panagaeus (Coleoptera, Carabidae) species measured against eight ecological factors. Baltic Journal of Coleopterology, 15(2): 137–154.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2015. Community structure of litter invertebrates of forest belt ecosystems in the Ukrainian steppe zone. International Journal of Environmental Research 9(4): 1183–1192.
- Brygadyrenko, V., Ivanyshyn, V., 2015. Changes in the body mass of Megaphyllum kievense (Diplopoda, Julidae) and the granulometric composition of leaf litter subject to different concentrations of copper. Journal of Forest Science 61(9): 369–376.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Svyrydchenko, A.O., 2015. Influence of the gregarine Stenophora julipusilli (Eugregarinorida, Stenophoridae) on the trophic activity of Rossiulus kessleri (Diplopoda, Julidae). Folia Oecologica 42(1): 10–20.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2014. Influence of moisture conditions on the structure of litter invertebrate communities in shelterbelt and plantation forests in Southern Ukraine. Journal of Bio-Science 22: 77–88.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Korolev, О.V., 2015. Morphological polymorphism in an urban population of Pterostichus melanarius (Illiger, 1798) (Coleoptera, Carabidae). Graellsia 71(1): e025.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Slynko, V.O., 2015. Morphological variability of Bembidion articulatum (Coleoptera, Carabidae) populations: Linear dimensions depend on sex, while morphological indices depend on ecosystems. International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences 10(1): 163–187.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Reshetniak, D.Y., 2014. Morphological variability among populations of Harpalus rufipes (Coleoptera, Carabidae): What is more important – the mean values or statistical peculiarities of distribution in the population? Folia Oecologica 41(2): 109–133.
- Svyrydchenko, A.O., Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2014. Trophic preferences of Rossiulus kessleri (Diplopoda, Julidae) for the litter of various tree species. Folia Oecologica 41(2): 202–212.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Nazimov, S.S., 2015. Trophic relations of Opatrum sabulosum (Coleoptera, Tenebrionidae) with leaves of cultivated and uncultivated species of herbaceous plants under laboratory conditions. ZooKeys 481: 57–68.
- Faly, L.I., Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2014. Patterns in the horizontal structure of litter invertebrate communities in windbreak plantations in the steppe zone of the Ukraine. Journal of Plant Protection Research 54(4): 414–420.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Reshetniak, D.Y., 2014. Trophic preferences of Harpalus rufipes (Coleoptera, Carabidae) with regard to seeds of agricultural crops in conditions of laboratory experiment. Baltic Journal of Coleopterology 14(2): 179–190.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2014. Influence of soil moisture on litter invertebrate community structure of pine forests of the steppe zone of Ukraine. Folia Oecologica 41(1): 8–16.
- Korolev, О.V., Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2014. Influence of individual variation in the trophic spectra of Pterostichus melanarius (Coleoptera, Carabidae) on the adaptation possibilities of its population. Folia Oecologica 41(1): 34–43.
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., Nazimov, S.S., 2014. Nutrition of Opatrum sabulosum (Coleoptera, Tenebrionidae) when fed on leaves of trees, shrubs and liana plants in the conditions of a laboratory experiment. Baltic Journal of Coleopterology 14(1): 59–72.
- Boyko, A., Brygadyrenko, V., Shendryk, L., Loza, I., 2009. Estimation of the role of antropo-zoonosis invasion agents in the counteraction to bioterrorism. Counteraction to Chemical and Biological Terrorism in East European Countries. Springer Science, Dordrecht, Netherlands, P. 309–315.
The total number of citations (www.scholar.google.com) in the name of V.V. Brygadyrenko is 406.
95 articles have been published in scientific journals, also 1 book and 8 textbooks.
These materials can be accessed at zoology.dp.ua/brygadyrenko.
2. Granted patents
The number of grants – 2.
3. Research monographs, chapters in collective volumes and any translations thereof
- Bobyliov, Y.P., Brygadyrenko, V.V., Bulakhov, V.L., Gaichenko, V.A., Gasso, V.Y., Didukh, Y.P., Ivashov, A.V., Kucheriavyi, V.P., Maliovanyi, M.S., Mytsyk, L.P., Pakhomov, O.Y., Tsaryk, I.V., Shabanov, D.A., 2014. Ecology. Folio, Kharkiv, 672 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Pakhomov, O.Y., Gasso, V.Y., Goloborodko, K.K., Poljakov, M.V., Grycan, Y.I., Bulakhov, V.L., Brygadyrenko, V.V., Kljuchko, Z.F., Mezhzherin, S.V., Novicky, R.O., Pysanec, Y.M., Pljushh, I.G., Ponomarenko, O.L., Puchkov, O.V., Radchenko, V.G., 2011. The Red Book of Dnipropetrovsk region. Animals. New Print, Dnipropetrovsk, 488 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2009. Modelling populations of invertebrates. Dnipropetrovsk University Press, Dnipropetrovsk, 60 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Brygadyrenko, V.V., 2003. General insect systematics. Dnipropetrovsk University Press, Dnipropetrovsk, 204 p. (in Ukrainian).
In total V.V. Brygadyrenko has authored/coauthored 1 book and 8 textbooks, which can be accessed at zoology.dp.ua/brygadyrenko.
4. Invited presentations to peer-reviewed, internationally established conferences
- XIX International Congress of Zoology (China, Beijing, 2004);
- Real great ideas-2013. Biological Sciences (Czech Republic, Prague, 2013);
- Education and Science in the XXI Century. Biology (Bulgaria, Sofia, 2013);
- International Conference on Biology and Medical Sciences (Austria, Vienna, 2014);
- Counteraction to Chemical and Biological Terrorism in East European Countries (Netherlands, Dordrecht, 2009);
- All-Russian Conference on Soil Zoology (Russia, Moscow, 2002; Tiumen, 2005; Siktivkar, 2014);
- International Symposium “Informational Systems on Biodiversity of Species and Ecosystems” (Russia, Saint Petersburg, 2003);
- Siberian Zoological Conference (Russia, Novosibirsk, 2004);
- IV Session of the Ukrainian Entomological Society (Ukraine, Bila Tserkva, 2003);
- Ecology and Biology of the Soil (Russia, Rostov na Donu, 2004, 2005);
- Rare and Disappearing Species of Insect and the Concept of the Red Book of Ukraine (Ukraine, Kyiv, 2005);
- General and Applied Entomolgy of Ukraine (Ukraine, Lviv, 2005);
- Contemporary Problems of Zoology and Entomolgy (Ukraine, Odessa, 2005);
- The Role of Nature Reserves in the Preservation of Biodiversity (Ukraine, Kaniv, 2003);
- The Protection and Rational Exploitation of Natural resources in the Ukrainian Carpathians (Ukraine, Uzhgorod, 2008);
- Contemporary Problems in Entomolgy (Ukraine, Bila Tserkva, 2013);
In total V.V. Brygadyrenko has participated in 48 international congresses and conferences (1997–2014).
Full information about this can be found on the site zoology.dp.ua/brygadyrenko
5. Research expeditions
V.V. Brygadyrenko makes annual research expeditions within Ukraine, which have included the Carpathians, the Crimea and the Predneproviya region in central Ukraine. As a result of these expeditions 41 projects for creating regional landscape parks and nature reserves have been written, most of which have been implemented. This has provided V.V. Brygadyrenko with experience of working in expedition conditions in a wide range of topographical and climatic zones. Outside Ukraine, V.V. Brygadyrenko has made collections of invertebrates from the southern Urals (Bashkiria), the central and lower Volga region (Volgograd and Saratov regions), the Baltic coastline near Saint Petersburg in Russia, and also in Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Italy and Poland. Additionally V.V. Brygadyrenko organize and participate in summer ecological expeditions with teenagers in forests in Dnipropetrovsk and adjacent regions of Ukraine.
6. Organisation of International conferences
V.V. Brygadyrenko is Secretary of the Organizing Committee of the І, ІІ, ІІІ, IV, V, VI and VII International Conferences “Biodiversity and Role of Animals in Ecosystems” (Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, 2001 – 216 participants, 2003 – 209, 2005 – 284, 2007 – 286, 2009 – 213, 2011 – 152, 2013 – 134 participants from 17 countries).
The complete material of these conferences can be accessed at zoology.dp.ua/zoocenosis.
V.V. Brygadyrenko is Secretary of the Organizing Committee of the International Conference “Ecological Research in Industrial Regions of Ukraine” (Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, 2004).
V.V. Brygadyrenko is member of the Organizing Committee All-Ukrainian Conference “The Ecology of Crisis Regions of Ukraine” (Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, 2001).
7. Examples of participation in industrial innovation
V.V. Brygadyrenko have been responsible for managing the “Programme for protection of the environment in Dnipropetrovsk region in 2005–2015”, with a budget of 34.8 million grivnas, and the “Programme for the formation of a National Ecological Network in Dnipropetrovsk region in 2006–2015”, with a budget of 31.5 million grivnas.
V.V. Brygadyrenko was responsible for the expenditure of two million grivnas which was granted as a result of a 14 clause agreement between Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University and Dnipropetrovsk Regional Administration (2004–2011) for environmental research in the region, aimed at improving management of natural resources.
The results of field research have led to the creation of 41 projects for the establishment of regional landscape parks; in the Ingulets river basin, the granite cliffs of the Southern Bug in Nikolayev region and other sites in Nikolayev and Dnipropetrovsk regions. In response to recommendations the territory occupied by in Dnipropetrovsk region has been increased by two and a half times in the last seven years.
The results of cooperation with Dnipropetrovsk City Council based on two grants have led to recommendations which have been implemented at factories within the city and at the level of the municipal environmental services (responsible for parks, trees, lawns, flower beds etc.).
My recommendations for improving management of forest ecosystems and conservation of rare species of invertebrates have been adopted in the Dnipro-Orel Nature Reserve, Lugansk Nature Reserve and the State Administration for Ecology and Natural Resources of Dnipropetrovsk region.
My practical recommendation to the State Inspectorate for Plant Quarantine in Dnipropetrovsk region concerning the struggle against the Fall Webworm (Hyphantria cunea) was accepted and is being implemented in Dnipropetrovsk region. The Dnipropetrovsk City Sanitary Inspectorate accepted and is implementing my recommendation for controlling blood sucking insects (carriers of arboviruses) in Dnipropetrovsk region.
As secretary (from 2011 to 2015) of the Scientific-Methodological Committee for Biological Sciences of the Ministry of Education and Sciences of Ukraine, which coordinates the training of future bachelors and masters in 13 biological specialities, I am in regular contact with deans and department heads of over 20 universities in Ukraine, coordinate the preparation of curricular plans of these institutions. As a consequence of the introduction to Ukraine of the Bologna System of Education, I supervise 13 working groups, composed of leading specialists, on state educational standards for masters in Biology, Microbiology, Virology, Cytology and Histology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Zoology, Botany, Genetics, Plant Physiology, Immunology, Human and Animal Physiology, Laboratory Analysis of Biological Systems.
As member of the Working Group on Ecology of the Ministry of Education and Sciences of Ukraine in 2011 I developed the state educational standards for the bachelor’s degree for over 120 higher educational institutions of Ukraine.
From 2001 to the present I have been head of the division «Chemistry and Biology», which is composed of the sections “Zoology and Botany”, “Human Biology”, “General Biology” and “Forestry”. Every year I give lectures in Ecology, Zoology, Paleontology and Biochemistry to over 250 of the best pupils of the 9–11 forms from schools in Dnipropetrovsk region. I am also a member of the jury for the All-Ukrainian Competition in Biology and the international competition IntelEco, which enables me to exchange experience with scientists from all regions of Ukraine.
8. Prizes and Awards
- 2012, 2013 – Award for Participation in the Jury of the All-Ukrainian Competition “Friends of Nature”, granted by the National Ecological Centre for Young Scientists.
- 2012, 2013 – Special Award for the Education of Young People, granted by the Governor of Dnipropetrovsk region.
- 2012 – Award for Participation in the Jury of the All-Ukrainian Competition “Intel ISEF”, granted by the National Ecological Centre for Young Scientists.
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 – Award for Educating Senior School Pupils, Members of the Junior Academy of Sciences in Chemistry and Biology, granted by Dnipropetrovsk Regional Administration.
- 2007 – Award for the Best Young Scientist of Dnipropetrovsk region, granted by the Governor of Dnipropetrovsk region.
- 2006 – Award for Long Term Contribution in Educating Senior School Pupils in Ecology, granted by Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
- 1998 – Winner Diploma of All-Ukrainian Competition of Student Scientific Research.
9. Funding received so far
- 2007 – Grant from Dnipropetrovsk City Council for Conservation of the litter macrofauna of the parks of Dnipropetrovsk.
- 2006 – Grant from Dnipropetrovsk City Council for assessment by bioindicators of environmental quality in the grounds of factories in Dnipropetrovsk.
- 2006 – Grant from the President of Ukraine for Young Scientist Project “Research into the formation of trophic networks in litter fauna of steppe forests, conducted by computer simulation”
- 2006 – Josef Mianovski Grant (Poland) in cooperation with the Centre for Ecological Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences for the scientific research project “Evolution of complex life cycles: Significance of intraspecific competition”.
- 1997 – Student Grant ISSEP (International Soros Science Education Program) № GSU 074009.
- 1996 – Student Grant ISSEP (International Soros Science Education Program) № GSU 064035.
10. Supervising, mentoring activities
Reshetnyak D. E. Consortive ties of Harpalus rufipes (Coleoptera, Carabidae) in the conditions of the steppe Prydniprov’ya. – Dissertation for degree of Candidate of Biological Sciences on speciality 03.00.16 – Ecology. Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University. – Dnipropetrovs’k, 2016. 252 p.
Every year two or three Masters and two or three Bachelors students successfully defend disseretations under my supervision. Many of these have received awards in the All-Ukrainian Competition for Students in “Ecology” or “Biology”.
Every year one to three senior school pupils under my supervision win prizes in the All-Ukrainian Competition of the Junior Academy of Sciences and five to six senior school pupils win prizes in the Dnipropetrovsk region level of this competition.
11. Positions held
- Department of Zoology and Ecology, Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University, Ukraine
- 2003–present – Assistant Professor in the Department of Zoology and Ecology. Teaches the following subjects “Zoology”, “Ecology”, “Entomolgy”, “Parasitology”, “Information Technology for Ecology”.
- 2003–present – Executive Editor of the scientific journals “Biosystems Diversity” (www.ecology.dp.ua) and “Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems” (www.medicine.dp.ua).
- 2014–present – Deputy Chief Editor of the scientific journals “Ukrainian Journal of Ecology” (http://ojs.mdpu.org.ua).
- 2011–2015 – Secretary of the Scientific-Methodological Committee for Biological Sciences of the Ministry of Education and Sciences of Ukraine, which coordinates the training of future bachelors and masters in 13 biological specialities.
- 2001–present – Head of the Dnipropetrovsk regional division «Chemistry and Biology» of the Junior Academy of Sciences, which is composed of the sections “Zoology and Botany”, “Human Biology”, “General Biology” and “Forestry” (over 250 of the best pupils of the 9–11 forms from schools).
- 2001–2003 – Senior Lecturer in above-mentioned department, teaching the above disciplines.
- Department of Zoology and Ecology, Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University, Ukraine
- 1998–2001 – Post-graduate student, successfully defended dissertation “The structure of ground beetle communities in the Samara River ecosystem under the influence of anthropogenic factors”.
- 1993–1998 – Student specializing in Zoology, awarded a Red (Excellent) Diploma.
13. Personal information
Viktor V. Brygadyrenko
Date and Place of Birth – 24.06.1976, Kremenchug, Poltava region, Ukraine.
14. Contact information
V.V. Brygadyrenko, Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University, Gagarin Ave., 72, Dnipropetrovsk, 49010, Ukraine.